Welcome to the wonderful world of Tambis, also known as Watery Rose Apple! If you are here because you want to discover the health benefits of watery rose apple, continue reading.
Whether you’re looking to improve digestion, enhance immunity, or simply indulge in a refreshing snack, Watery Rose Apple has got you covered. So sit back, relax, and let’s dive into the incredible benefits this tropical fruit has to offer. But hey, before we begin exploring its wonders, let’s first get acquainted with what exactly Watery Rose Apple is all about.
What is Watery Rose Apple
Watery Rose Apple, scientifically known as Syzygium aqueum, belongs to the Myrtaceae family. This tropical fruit goes by various names such as Jambu Air, Bell Fruit, Wax Jambu, and Tambis (Ilonggo), Hagis (Tagalog) fruit in the Philippines. Native to Southeast Asia and widely cultivated in countries like Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, and the Philippines.
The Watery Rose Apple tree is a medium-sized evergreen that can reach up to 15 meters in height. Its bark is smooth and its leaves are glossy green with an elliptical shape. The flowers of this tree are small and white, while the fruits themselves grow in clusters.
When ripe, Watery Rose Apples have a striking color palette ranging from pale green to pink or red hues. Their shape resembles that of a bell or pear with a thin skin covering crisp flesh inside.
This delightful fruit thrives best in humid environments with well-drained soil. You’ll often find it growing near riverbanks or low-lying areas where it can soak up plenty of moisture.
Now that you have some background knowledge on Watery Rose Apple’s origins and appearance let’s dive into its impressive nutritional profile!
Tambis vs Makopa: What’s the Difference?
In the Philippines, there is a wide variety of fruit varieties available. An example is tambis (Syzygium aqueum) and makopa (Syzygium samarangense).
Initially, both fruits seem the same. They both have a bright red color and a pear-like shape, making them distinct from other fruits. However, the devil lies in the details when it comes to identifying their differences.
One can tell the difference by looking at the fruit’s shape and skin. Tambis are smaller, have a bell-like shape, and their skin is bright red to pink. Makopas are larger with a pear-like shape and their skin is deeper red.
Makopa has a denser flavor and can sometimes taste bland, which is why people enjoy eating both fruits. Tambis, on the other hand, have thin skin and a refreshing pulp.
It is mainly due to the appearance of tambis and makopa that people confuse them.
Makopa and tambis haven’t been seen much by the public for years now, another reason that could confuse the public. The older generation used to see both fruits in abundance both in their cities and provinces, but modernization has reduced the number of trees in recent years.
Both fruits have only been seen on social media or have been told about by people who have seen them previously by Generation Z and future generations. Increasing the awareness of local fruits and the differences between them could be solved by planting more makopa and tambis trees.
Watery Rose Apple Nutrition Per 100g
The nutritional composition of watery rose apples per 100 grams may vary slightly based on factors such as ripeness and variety. However, here is an approximate nutritional profile per 100 grams of watery rose apple:
- Calories: 25-30 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 6-8 grams
- Dietary Fiber: 1-2 grams
- Sugars: 4-6 grams
- Fat: 0.1-0.2 grams
- Saturated Fat: Less than 0.1 grams
- Protein: 0.3-0.6 grams
- Vitamin C: 8-10 mg
- Calcium: 5-10 mg
- Iron: 0.2-0.3 mg
- Potassium: 30-40 mg
- Water Content: Around 90-95%
Tambis is a refreshing and hydrating fruit with low-calorie content. It is a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, and various minerals. It makes a healthy addition to your diet, providing a burst of sweetness and a good dose of hydration.
Please note that these values are approximate and can vary based on the specific variety and ripeness of the watery rose apple. Nutritional content may also change if the fruit is processed or cooked.
10 Watery Rose Apple Benefits and Medicinal Uses
Tambis is not only a delicious tropical fruit but also offers numerous health benefits and medicinal uses. Let’s explore some of the amazing advantages this watery wonder has to offer!
- Hydration: Watery rose apple has a high water content, making it an excellent fruit for staying hydrated, especially during hot weather.
- Low-Calorie: It is a low-calorie fruit, making it a healthy snack option for those trying to manage their weight or reduce calorie intake.
- Rich in Vitamin C: Tambis is a good source of vitamin C, an essential antioxidant that boosts the immune system and supports skin health.
- Dietary Fiber: The fruit contains dietary fiber, which aids digestion, supports gut health and may help manage cholesterol levels.
- Antioxidants: Watery rose apple contains various antioxidants that help protect the body’s cells from damage caused by free radicals.
- Minerals: The fruit provides essential minerals like calcium, potassium, and iron, which are important for bone health, nerve function, and oxygen transport in the body.
- Diuretic Properties: Watery rose apple has mild diuretic properties, which may help promote urination and aid in detoxification.
- Heart Health: The fiber, antioxidants, and potassium in watery rose apples contribute to heart health by helping to manage blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Natural Refreshment: The juicy and sweet taste of watery rose apple makes it a natural and refreshing treat to enjoy during hot and humid days.
- Aids in Digestion: The fiber content of the fruit aids in digestion, promotes regular bowel movements, and may help prevent constipation.
While watery rose apple offers these health benefits, it is essential to enjoy it as part of a balanced diet that includes a variety of fruits and vegetables to get a wide range of nutrients. Additionally, individuals with specific health conditions or allergies should consult with a healthcare professional before adding any new food to their diet.
Possible Side Effects and Disadvantages of Eating Tambis
While watery rose apple is known for its numerous health benefits, it’s important to be aware of the potential side effects and disadvantages associated with consuming this fruit. Here are five possible concerns you should keep in mind:
1. Allergic Reactions: Some individuals may be allergic to watery rose apples, leading to symptoms such as itching, hives, swelling, or even difficulty breathing. If you experience any adverse reactions after eating this fruit, seek medical attention immediately.
2. Digestive Issues: Consuming excessive amounts of watery rose apple can cause digestive discomfort like bloating, gas, or diarrhea due to its high water content and fiber content. It’s recommended to consume this fruit in moderation and listen to your body’s response.
3. Sugar Content: Although a watery rose apple has a low glycemic index compared to other fruits, it still contains natural sugars that can affect blood sugar levels if consumed excessively by individuals with diabetes or insulin resistance.
4. Pesticide Residue: Like many fruits grown conventionally, watery rose apples may contain pesticide residues if not properly washed before consumption. To minimize exposure, opt for organically grown varieties whenever possible.
5. Interactions with Medications: As with any food or supplement, interactions between medications and certain compounds found in watery rose apples may occur. If you’re taking any medications regularly or have underlying health conditions, consult your healthcare provider before incorporating this fruit into your diet.
It’s essential to remember that these side effects are not experienced by everyone who consumes watery rose apple; they simply highlight potential concerns that some individuals may face when consuming this fruit in excess or under specific circumstances.
How to Eat Tambis Fruit
Watery rose apple fruit can be enjoyed in various ways, whether eaten raw, infused in tea, or incorporated into various dishes. Here are some ways to eat watery rose apple fruit and use its medicinal leaves:
1. Eating Raw: The watery rose apple fruit can be eaten fresh and raw. Simply wash the fruit, remove any seeds if present, and bite into the crisp and juicy flesh. It has a sweet and refreshing flavor, making it a delightful snack on its own.
2. Fruit Salad: Add sliced or diced watery rose apple fruit to fruit salads to enhance their taste and texture. Combine it with other fruits like apples, oranges, grapes, and pineapples for a colorful and nutritious salad.
3. Juices and Smoothies: Blend watery rose apple fruit with other fruits and vegetables to make delicious juices and smoothies. Its sweet flavor complements well with a variety of ingredients, making it a great addition to your favorite smoothie recipes.
4. Infused Water: Add sliced watery rose apple fruit to a jug of water to infuse it with a light and refreshing flavor. This infused water is an excellent way to stay hydrated with a hint of natural sweetness.
5. Preserves and Jams: Watery rose apple fruit can be used to make jams, jellies, or preserves. Simmer the fruit with sugar and water until it thickens to the desired consistency, then use it as a spread for toast or as a topping for desserts.
6. Herbal Tea: The medicinal leaves of watery rose apple can be used to make herbal tea. Simply steep the leaves in hot water for a few minutes, strain, and enjoy the herbal infusion. Some people believe that the tea made from these leaves may have various health benefits.
7. Culinary Uses: In some Asian cuisines, the watery rose apple fruit is used in savory dishes, salads, and pickles. It can be combined with ingredients like shrimp, fish sauce, and various spices for unique flavors.
8. Chutneys and Salsas: Watery rose apples can be used to make chutneys or salsas, adding a fresh and tangy element to these condiments.
Remember to use fresh, ripe watery rose apple fruit for the best taste and nutritional benefits. Additionally, when using any plant for medicinal purposes, it’s essential to consult with a qualified herbalist or healthcare professional to ensure safety and appropriateness for your specific needs.
From improving digestion to promoting heart health, boosting immune function to supporting weight loss efforts – watery rose apple has a range of potential benefits. Its rich nutritional profile makes it a valuable addition to any diet.
However, as with any food or natural remedy, it is important to consume tambis in moderation and be aware of possible side effects. Some individuals may experience allergic reactions or digestive issues when consuming excessive amounts.
To enjoy the benefits of watery rose apples, you can simply eat the ripe fruit raw or incorporate it into various recipes like salads or smoothies. The leaves of the tree can also be used for making tea or herbal infusions with additional health-boosting properties.
Remember to consult with a healthcare professional before making significant changes to your diet or using any new natural remedies.
Note: This article also answer the following local questions:
- Benepisyo ng Tambis
- Ano ang vitamins o bitamina ng Tambis
- Epekto sa katawan sa pagkain ng Tambis
- Side effects ng Tambis
- Masamang epekto ng pagkain ng Tambis
- Anong vitamins ang makukuha sa Tambis
- Ano ang naidudulot ng Tambis is sa ating katawan
- Tambis vs Makopa difference
- 10 Fish Meal Benefits, Uses, and Side Effects
- Fruitwood: 10 Fruits Trees that Provide High Quality Wood and Lumber
- Sirali: 10 Health Benefits of Governor’s Plum, and Side Effects
- Spanish Plum: 10 Health Benefits of Sineguelas, and Side Effects
- 26-Day Complete Gamefowl Conditioning Guide from Tatak Excellence