Are you looking for a new protein source to incorporate into your diet? Look no further than chicken gizzard, also known as “balunan” in Tagalog. While it may not be the most popular part of the chicken, it certainly packs a nutritional punch. There are numerous benefits of eating chicken gizzard that you may not have considered before. Keep reading to discover why you should add chicken gizzard to your next meal!
Is Chicken Gizzard Clean Enough and Safe to Eat?
Chicken gizzard is a small, muscular organ that aids in the digestion of food. It’s located between the chicken’s esophagus and stomach and is known for its tough texture. In Filipino cuisine, it’s often called “balunan” and is a popular ingredient in traditional dishes such as adobo.
One common question people have about chicken gizzard is whether or not it’s safe to eat. When prepared properly, chicken gizzard can be just as clean and safe to eat as any other part of the bird. However, like all meat products, it’s important to handle it with care.
When purchasing chicken gizzards from your local grocery store or butcher shop, make sure they are fresh and stored at appropriate temperatures. You should also thoroughly wash them before cooking to remove any bacteria that may be present on the surface.
When cooked correctly and handled properly, there should be no concern about eating chicken gizzard. This often-overlooked cut of meat offers numerous health benefits worth considering!
Chicken Gizzard Nutrition
Chicken gizzard may not be the most popular part of a chicken, but it is certainly packed with nutrients. This organ meat is high in protein and low in fat, making it an ideal food for those who want to maintain a healthy diet.
But aside from protein and low-fat content, chicken gizzard also contains essential vitamins and minerals such as iron, zinc, selenium, vitamin B12, and phosphorus which are vital to our overall health. Iron helps transport oxygen throughout the body while zinc supports immune function. Selenium protects cells from damage caused by free radicals while vitamin B12 aids in red blood cell production. Phosphorus plays a crucial role in bone formation.
Moreover, chicken gizzards contain collagen which promotes skin elasticity and joint health. Collagen may help reduce inflammation and provide relief for people suffering from arthritis or joint pain.
Incorporating chicken gizzards into your diet can give you an excellent source of nutrition without sacrificing taste or convenience.
10 Benefits of Eating Chicken Gizzard
Chicken gizzard is a nutritious and inexpensive part of the chicken that offers various health benefits. Here are ten benefits of eating chicken gizzard.
1. Rich in Protein – Chicken gizzards are high in protein, which is essential for building and repairing muscles.
2. Lowers Cholesterol Levels – The soluble fiber found in chicken gizzards can help reduce bad cholesterol levels.
3. Helps with Digestion – The tough muscle fibers present in chicken gizzard act like a brush against food particles, promoting better digestion.
4. Boosts Immune System – Chicken gizzards contain zinc and iron that help support immune function.
5. Supports Healthy Skin and Hair – The amino acids found in chicken gizzards can improve the texture of skin and hair.
6. Good Source of Iron – A single serving of chicken gizzard provides 15% of your daily recommended value (DV) for iron which helps carry oxygen throughout the body
7. Provides Vitamin B12 – One serving contains up to 150% DV which supports brain function, energy development & metabolism regulation
8. Low-Calorie Option – You don’t have to worry about packing on extra pounds since it’s only around 45 calories per ounce
9. Budget-Friendly Meat Alternative– It’s one of the most affordable cuts available along with an impressive nutritional profile
10. Leads to Strong Bones- Chicken Gizzards include phosphorus minerals that promote strong bones
Incorporating chicken gizzard into your meals not only adds flavor but also offers numerous health benefits at an affordable price point!
Possible Dangers and Side Effects
While chicken gizzard is a delicious and nutritious food, it’s important to be aware of the possible dangers and side effects that come with consuming it. One potential concern is the risk of bacterial contamination from improper handling or cooking.
To avoid this, always make sure to handle raw chicken gizzards carefully and cook them thoroughly before eating. This can help reduce the risk of foodborne illnesses such as salmonella.
Another issue to consider is the high cholesterol content in chicken gizzards. While this may not be a problem for everyone, those who have high cholesterol levels or other health concerns should limit their intake of this food.
Additionally, some people may experience digestive issues after eating chicken gizzards due to their tough texture and high collagen content. If you’re prone to indigestion or have a sensitive stomach, it might be best to consume this food in moderation or avoid it altogether.
While there are some potential risks associated with eating chicken gizzard, these can largely be mitigated by proper preparation and portion control. As long as you’re mindful of your consumption habits and take steps to minimize any negative effects, there’s no reason why you can’t enjoy this tasty dish as part of a healthy diet!
Popular Chicken Gizzard Recipes
Chicken gizzard may not be the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about a delicious meal, but with the right recipe, it can transform into a mouthwatering dish. Here are some popular chicken gizzard recipes that you might want to try:
1) Adobo-style Chicken Gizzard – This Filipino classic is made by simmering chicken gizzards in a mixture of soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, and black pepper until they become tender and flavorful. Gizzards are always cooked together with chicken liver which is called atay balunan in Tagalog
2) Fried Chicken Gizzards – Coat your chicken gizzards in seasoned flour or breadcrumbs before frying them until crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Serve with dipping sauces like ranch or honey mustard.
3) Grilled Chicken Gizzards – Marinate your chicken gizzards in olive oil, lemon juice, herbs, and spices for at least an hour before grilling them over medium-high heat until cooked through.
4) Stewed Chicken Gizzards – Simmer your chicken gizzards in a tomato-based broth along with vegetables like carrots and potatoes for a hearty stew that’s perfect for cold weather days.
Whatever recipe you choose to go with, don’t forget to experiment with different seasonings and flavor combinations to find what works best for your taste buds!
To sum it up chicken gizzard is a highly nutritious and delicious part of the chicken that should be included in your diet. It may not look as appetizing compared to other parts, but the benefits of eating chicken gizzard cannot be denied.
Eating chicken gizzards can provide you with essential nutrients like protein, iron, and vitamin B12. It also aids in digestion, boosts heart health, and strengthens your immune system.
While there may be some possible dangers and side effects associated with eating too much of it or consuming poorly prepared ones, these can easily be avoided by proper cooking techniques and moderation.
There are many delectable ways to cook this underrated ingredient such as adobo-style or grilled skewers. Try out different recipes to find which one suits your taste buds best!
Incorporating balunan ng manok into your meals will not only diversify your palate but also bring numerous health benefits. So next time you see them at the market or on the menu, give them a chance – you might be surprised at how satisfying they can be!
- Bituka ng Manok – Benefits of Eating Chicken Intestine, and Side Effects
- Adidas – Benefits of Eating Chicken Feet, and Side Effects
- Dugo ng Manok – Benefits of Eating Chicken Blood, and Side Effects
- Atay ng Manok – Benefits of Eating Chicken Liver, and Side Effects
- Gmelina Tree Characteristics and Uses